The Western Cape government has welcomed the extension of the deployment of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) to crime-ridden areas of the province until March 31, 2020.
President Ramaphosa made the announcement on Monday and has thanked law enforcement officials for the work they have done so far.
Premier Alan Winde asked for the extension last week amid concerns of a high crime rate in the province.
Winde says the army can play an important role in stabilising crime-ridden communities.
“Premier Alan Winde and Minister of Community Safety, Albert Fritz, welcome the announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa that the SANDF deployment will be extended by a further six months. Minister of Community Safety, Albert Fritz says: ‘I welcome the extension of the deployment until 31 March 2020. The success of the deployment remains hotly contested. Whilst the number of murders remains relatively unchanged compared to prior to the deployment, the deployment has been successful in affecting arrests, particularly of wanted suspects,” says Premier spokesperson Cayla Murray.
Watch a related video below:
The post Western Cape govt welcomes extension of army deployment appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..