Ramaphosa condemns recent attacks on other Africans

ramaphosa condemns recent attacks on other africans - Ramaphosa condemns recent attacks on other Africans

SABC News Ramaphosa Ukhozi FM - Ramaphosa condemns recent attacks on other Africans

President Cyril Ramaphosa says the recent spate of violence against foreign nationals in Durban is a pure element of criminality.

Earlier this week violence broke out in an informal settlement north of Durban where over 200 foreign nationals were allegedly attacked. Some fled their homes.

Speaking to the SABC’s Ukhozi FM station in Durban on Saturday, the President condemns the attacks on other Africans.

“A few days ago we found out that it’s us South Africans who are attacking foreigners; that portrays us as a country that does not want to be part of other African countries. Because it shows the rest of the world that there’s xenophobia in South Africa and that’s not true.  There’s no Xenophobia in this country.

“As South Africans we have never been Xenophobic and have never discriminated people from other countries. From the report I’ve heard from comrade Sihle Zikalala this was an act by criminals who decided to attack foreigners.”

Public violence during protests

The President has also called for an end to public violence during protests. He says the burning of shops and factories is not the way to air frustrations and grievances.

He says the ongoing violence at Mandeni, north coast of KwaZulu-Natal and attacks on the N3 are not acceptable, referring to this week incident where seven trucks were burnt on the N-3 near Mooi River during a violent protest.

The President says such actions are chasing away investors, stressing that government will be meeting aggrieved organisations including truck drivers to iron out their issues.

“On the Mandeni issue, we are not happy. If communities are unhappy about something like the mayor, we shouldn’t burn down things including factories because they help us.”

“Let’s sit down and speak about our issues with relevant departments of government.”

The post Ramaphosa condemns recent attacks on other Africans appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*