Gauteng schools placement period extended as tempers flare

SABC News  Panyaza Lesufi - Gauteng schools placement period extended as tempers flare

The Gauteng Education Department says it has extended its placement period for learners going into Grades 1 and 8 to the end of this month. The initial deadline was last Thursday. However, thousands of learners have still not been placed.

Earlier on Sunday, the department erroneously sent out an SMS to parents informing them to go to its district offices for the placement of their children. That resulted in scores of parents flocking to different district offices.

Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has since apologised for the error. The department is, however, confident that it will place over 60-thousand learners in schools by the end of November and has urged parents not to be anxious.

“We have actually extended the placement period to the 30th of November so all parents they must know that children will be placed. They don’t need to be anxious because people were looking at the deadline so the plan was to conduct this process that was conducted this weekend the following week hence the MEC said this was erroneously sent,” explains Steve Mabona who is the department’s spokesperson.

Watch video below:

The post Gauteng schools placement period extended as tempers flare appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*