Minister of Sports and recreation Ms. Tokozile Xasa says she has noted the outcome of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) case on the matter involving Caster Semenya.
In a statement released on Wednesday she says: “Naturally, we are disappointed with the judgement, however we have directed ASA to request a copy of the full judgement, consider it and determine a way forward.”
“As the South African government we have always maintained that these regulations trample on the human rights and dignity of Caster Semenya and other women athletes. We will comment further after studying the full judgement.”
Xasa also thanked the people of South Africa for supporting Semenya across race, gender and class divisions.
She has assured Semenya of South Africa’s continued support as they continue to navigate the future with her.
On Wednesday, CAS ruled that the IAAF regulations are needed to ensure fair competition between athletes who compete in events ranging from 400-metres to 1 500 metre races.
Caster last week competed at the last leg of the South African National Championships in Germiston winning both the 1 500 and 5 000 metre races.
She now has a choice of competing in races which are not affected by the decision or abide by the IAAF rules before she’s allowed to compete.
CAS has called the hearing one of the most important ever to appear before the court.
Semenya has 30 days to appeal the latest ruling made by CAS.
The post CAS ruling on Semenya disappointing: Minister appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..